Wild Camping - Exploring and Sleeping in the Wilds of the UK and Ireland
From getting back to nature with a tent, some matches and a few litres of bottled water, to enjoying a pub dinner and camping out in the garden afterwards, this book shows how to get stuck into wild camping in all its forms. Beautiful wildernesses; tiny budgets; environmentally-friendly… What's not to like?
There's an idea that wild camping is illegal in Britain, but it isn't – you just need to know the rules and where to go. This guide will open up this amazing experience for all, covering:
- what is wild camping and why bother?
- different types (bivvying, tenting, hammocking, on the water)
- what the law says (Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Wales, Ireland, EU, waterways)
- how many of the largest landowners in the UK are actively encouraging wild camping
- getting started (vital equipment, where to go, when to go, safety)
- drinking water and foraging for food
The majority of the book features the best places to go in England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland, along with stories, tips, helpful maps and inspiring photos. The new edition includes a Foreword by Ed Stafford, as well as a completely new chapter introducing the exciting new English Coastal Path, opening 2020 after years of campaigning. This fully updated guide will give readers the knowledge and the inspiration to escape the noise, clutter and stress of day to day life and go wild.