Lost Tramways: Edinburgh
Edinburgh played host to the country’s most significant cable tramway, although, by the early 1920s, electric trams had taken over. The system continued to grow until the late 1930s and new trams were built even after World War II. However, over less than a decade, all were swept away and the final trams operated in 1956. Also covered are the operations of Leith Corporation and Musselburgh & District.
The Lost Tramways of Scotland series documents the tram networks which were at the heart of many of Britain’s growing towns and cities from the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century.
As well as rigorously detailed transport history, these volumes provide an intimate glimpse into life as it was lived during this period, and the recognisable streets which have been maintained or transformed through the decades. An informative, accessible and portable resource for the tram enthusiast as well as the general reader, and a superb souvenir or gift for visitors past and present.