So You Want to be a Theatre Producer?
Publisher: Nick Hern Books
A comprehensive guide to every aspect of producing a show, from raising the money to creating a hit.
This unique guide offers comprehensive, clear advice to anyone producing or selling a show, whatever the venue or scale. Packed full of insights and tricks of the trade, it will give you the inspiration and confidence you need – whether you are taking your first steps in the profession or simply want to know what it takes to get a show on the stage.
Drawing on his own experience as a producer of theatre productions at every level – from university, via the fringe, to the West End – James Seabright takes you through each stage of the process:
- Having an idea for a show or getting the rights to an existing one
- Planning your budget and raising the money
- Booking your venue or a tour
- Marketing and selling the show effectively
- Getting the production designed, rehearsed and onto the stageFrom the fundamental (dealing with contracts) to the frivolous (how to organise your first-night party), every aspect is explained with the help of illuminating examples. There is also a wide-ranging appendix and a companion website with downloadable contract templates, marketing packs and budget spreadsheets.
'At last, hundreds of students on arts management and administration courses have a comprehensive reference book. It provides a unique guide for anyone taking their first steps into the world of producing.' The Stage
'Essential reading for anyone contemplating a life in the theatre fast lane.' - Thelma Holt
Available since: 02/11/2013.
Print length: 352 pages.