Hummingbird in Underworld - Teaching in a Men’s Prison A Memoir
Publisher: She Writes Press
• According to The Sentencing Project, there are 2.2 million people in jail or prison in the U.S., a 500% increase in the last 40 years.
• According to The Sentencing Project, 6.1 million Americans cannot vote because of felony convictions.
• According to the NAACP, 1 in 37 adults in the U.S., or 2.7% of the adult population, is under some form of correctional supervision.
• The Formerly Incarcerated, Convicted People & Families Movement estimates that 100 million Americans are “trying to move on from their criminal records.”
• The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation employs 66,800 people.
• According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there were 3.6 million full-time elementary and secondary school teachers in the U.S. in 2017.
• According to statista.com, 47 million people visited live theaters in 2017.
• According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 131,200 writers in the U.S. in 2017.
• A recent film shot in a prison and featuring prison inmates and guards as actors an extras, titled O.G., has received extensive media coverage and attention, including a long-form piece published in The New Yorker in January 2018.